Transfer FAQ

Request Info

Frequently Asked Questions

Open All Tabs
  • If I am transferring to the University of Miami, how many credits do I need to earn at UM?

    A student transferring credit hours from a 2-year community or junior college (this being the last school attended) must complete a minimum of 56 credit hours in residence at the University of Miami to earn an undergraduate degree. A student transferring credit hours from a 4-year college or university (this being the last school attended) must complete a minimum of 45 credit hours in residence at the University of Miami to earn an undergraduate degree. At least half of the credit hours required.

  • How do I submit my College Report?

    Transfer applicants are required to provide a College Report through the Common Application for each institution they were enrolled in full time or attended after high school. The Dean of Students Office, the Registrar’s Office, or a college official (such as an academic advisor) who has access to your academic and disciplinary records must complete this report.

  • If I performed poorly at my previous institution, will those credits transfer?

    The University does not accept transfer credit hours for courses in which a grade of C- and below (or the equivalent grade) was earned. However, grades of C-, D, and F are used to calculate the transfer admission grade point average. The University does not have a coursework forgiveness policy for transferred courses. The grades of any repeated courses will be averaged.

  • Am I required to submit a SAT and or ACT score?

    If you have less than 30 transferable post-secondary college credits completed, you will have to submit ACT and/or SAT scores. Please note that if you are currently enrolled in courses, these do not count toward the 30-credit requirement. 

  • Am I required to submit my high school transcripts?

    If you have less than 30 transferable post-secondary college credits completed, you must submit your high school transcripts.

  • Will my AP/IB test credits transfer to UM?

    UM accepts test credits according to standards specified on Please note that AP/IB credits accepted at your previous institution may not transfer to UM, as credits will be given according to UM test standards. It is important that all AP, IB, AICE or CLEP examination scores are received by UM by the end of the first semester of enrollment. Any documents listed above which are submitted after this time period will not be reviewed and credit hours will not be awarded.

  • Does the post-secondary institution I previously attended affect my chances for admission?

    We accept transfer students of varied educational experiences including 2-year, 4-year, public, and private institutions. Most successful transfer applicants attended institutions where they took a full slate of challenging general curriculum coursework. For the Rosenstiel School BS programs, we will especially be looking at performance in math and core science courses (i.e. science courses designed for science majors).

  • What's the required GPA for transfer admission?

    While there is no required GPA for admission, we look most favorably upon applicants whose college transcript to-date has a 3.0 or higher GPA. We give every applicant a full review and consider individual circumstances.

  • What should I write my essay about?

    The Common Application asks you to write about your reasons for transferring and the objectives you hope to achieve if admitted to UM.

  • How does UM notify applicants when a decision has been reached?

    Your admission decision will be made available via CaneLink, UM’s online application management portal. Students should monitor their email closely.

  • Can you email me my admission decision?

    Unfortunately, our policy dictates that we cannot reveal to applicants their admission decision via email or telephone. If you are having trouble with CaneLink, please visit: or contact IT at: 305-284-6565 or via email at

  • What are the most important factors in transfer admission?

    We conduct a holistic review and will consider all items of your application including standardized testing (if necessary), grades (both high school if necessary and college), essay, work experience, etc. However, the bulk of our focus will be on your collegiate-level work. For the Rosenstiel School BS programs, we will especially be looking at performance in math and core science courses (i.e. science courses designed for science majors).

  • When is the application deadline? When will I find out my admission decision?

    The priority deadline for the spring is November 1 and the priority deadline for the fall is March 1. Applications will continue to be accepted until the transfer class is full. We will give priority to those applicants who submit a completed application and all supporting documents by the priority deadlines. 

    Students whose application is complete by the priority deadline can expect a decision starting mid-April for fall admission and starting mid-November for spring admission. Transfer students who complete their application after the priority dates are notified of their decision on a rolling basis, three to four weeks after their application is deemed complete.

  • How can I know if I will receive credit for my previous coursework?

    Your admissions counselor cannot tell you whether you will receive credit for a particular course. Transfer credit evaluations are completed after students are admitted. Transferable courses will post in a student’s CaneLink soon thereafter. Keep in mind, you must receive a C or better in the course in order to receive credit. Visit our Suggested Coursework to Prepare for Transfer page for more information.

  • Can I receive scholarships and/or need-based financial aid as a transfer student?

    In order to be considered for all types of need-based financial assistance, transfer students must complete both the CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE and the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). For more information about the financial aid application filing deadlines, please visit the Student Financial Assistance and Employment Undergraduate page. All transfer students are automatically considered for merit-based scholarships.

  • How do I find out who my admission counselor is?

    To find the counselor who covers your school or area, please visit Meet Our Staff page. This counselor will serve as your primary point of contact with UM, and you are welcome to contact him or her at the phone number or e-mail address provided. Please note that counselors cannot conduct individual counseling sessions or review transcripts, but they may be able to answer specific questions you may have regarding the admission process.

  • What should I do if I am a prospective transfer student and want to learn about how to transfer to UM?

    For more detail on the transfer admission process, you can go to our website: For specific questions about Rosenstiel programs contact

  • What campus visit programs are available to transfer applicants?

    Admissions offers daily presentations and tours of the Coral Gables campus. You can register for your visit at To schedule an information session with the Rosenstiel School Undergraduate Programs office (located on the Coral Gables campus) click here.

  • Can transfer applicants sign up for an admission interview?

    UM neither requires nor grants interviews.

  • What steps should I follow if I am interested in transferring to UM?

    Although we are unable to easily provide specific course information for all prospective applicants, most of your questions will be answered by consulting one or more of the following sources:

    • Suggested Coursework to Prepare for Transfer

  • Does UM allow students who have only a GED to transfer?

    Yes, it is possible for students who completed high school with a GED to be admitted to UM. However, such students will still need to meet all other transfer requirements (at least 30 transferable semester college units, strong academic record, etc.) and must also provide official transcripts of all high school coursework they attempted, in addition to providing an official copy of their GED. They may also provide a letter of explanation along with their GED or completion certificate.

  • Can I defer my admission if I am a transfer student?

    Transfer students are not able to defer their admission.

  • Which courses will transfer to the University of Miami?

    Generally, most academic coursework taken at accredited colleges and universities will transfer, provided a grade of “C” or higher is achieved in the courses. Exceptions include credits earned in physical education, technical as well as vocational courses, remedial or college preparatory work. Please contact the Office of Admission, Evaluation Department at for specific information on transferable courses.

  • What is the University of Miami's policy on course repeats?

    We do not have a forgiveness policy for transfer coursework.

  • Can I retake a class in which I have achieved a grade of “C?”

    No, this is considered an illegal repeat. Moreover, an illegal repeat increases the number of credits you need to graduate.

  • Does the University of Miami grant credit through examination?

    Yes, we award credit through CLEP (subject exams only), AP, IB (Level H), and GCE. Minimum scores are required and are revised annually. Note that minimum scores at UM may differ from those at your previous institution. See link below: credits/index.html 
    AP, IB, and GCE scores must be received by the end of your first semester. No credits will be awarded after your first semester. Official scores must be sent directly to the Office of Admission: UM, Office of Admissions, P.O. Box 249117, Coral Gables, FL 33124-9117, Attn: Elizabeth Bradley. Exam scores submitted on other university or college transcripts will not be accepted.

  • What happens after I am accepted?

    You will see your transfer credits on CaneLink. If you have questions concerning how your transcript is evaluated, please contact the Office of Admission, Evaluation Department at or call (305) 284-4323. 
    After submitting your tuition enrollment deposit, please email our office ( to schedule an advising session. In the email, please include a copy of all transcripts (unofficial copies are sufficient), along with any test scores (AP/IB, etc.) and your intended major. Please note that during the summer, it may take a few days for our transfer advisor to respond. 
    Please note that new transfer students will have advising service indicators or holds, which must be lifted by their designated advisor prior to registration. Once these advising holds are removed, the student may register for courses on CaneLink.

  • Does my previous grade point average automatically transfer?

    University of Miami will not post your transfer G.P.A.

  • Why aren’t all of my transfer courses designated with a UM course number?

    First, a student’s transcript is evaluated by the Office of Admission, where transfer coursework with a “C” or higher is awarded a UM equivalency. Transfer coursework that does not reflect a known UM equivalency will remain undesignated. Individual courses are then evaluated by the respective UM departments. This requires the student to submit a Transfer Course Equivalency Evaluation form, along with the detailed course syllabi for each course. These detailed syllabi can be obtained from the previous instructor or department. Most importantly, equivalency evaluation forms for courses to be used as prerequisites for courses at UM need to be completed prior to your registration. Typically, this includes coursework in Biology, Chemistry, Economics, Mathematics and Physics. Upper division course requirements (300 level or above) at the University may not be satisfied with community college courses.

  • What if a class is not approved for my major? Can it count towards another requirement?

    If a course is not approved for your major, it will still count as an elective towards the 120 credits required for graduation.

  • Why aren’t all of my transfer courses on CaneLink?

    See above for information on which courses should transfer to UM. During your initial meeting with your academic advisor, you should review your total number of credits transferred to ensure that we have received final transcripts from all institutions attended. It is important that any and all final college transcripts, AP, IB, AICE or CLEP examination scores are received by UM by the end of the first semester of enrollment. Any documents listed above which are submitted after this time period will not be reviewed and credit hours will not be awarded.

  • Can my parents / guardians access my file?

    No, your parents / guardians will not have access to your academic file unless you list them as delegates. Please be advised that your academic file is confidential and is protected by the FERPA guidelines.

  • Can I enroll for 18 credits during my first semester?

    Your typical load your first semester will be 15 to 16 credits. To ensure that you will have a smooth transition to our school, your registration needs to reflect a manageable workload.

  • Do I follow the cognates requirements?

    All Rosenstiel students will have their STEM cognate satisfied through their major. You are responsible for completing cognates in Arts & Humanities, and People & Society. Majors or minors in these areas will satisfy the cognate requirement. Students transferring 30 or more credits have the option of completing an individualized cognate in People & Society or Arts & Humanities depending on the courses transferred. Please click here to learn more about cognates.